Friday, October 29, 2010

La Concorde

This is the cake I have been raving about for the last few months. This cake was created for the launch of the Concorde Jet back in the 1970's. I have never (baked) or eaten a better chocolate cake. Hands down.
Basically it is discs of chocolate meringue, sandwiched with the richest of chocolate mousse then decorated with broken sticks of meringue. It is layered, rich and all chocolate to the bank.
Perfectly good by itself, however I like it with a raspberry coulis ( don't add too much sugar in the coulis - the tartness of the raspberry is wonderfully with the richness of the chocolate) and whipped cream (somehow it enhances the cake more).
Now as I do not have the permission to give the recipe I was given class (I simply haven't asked Le Chef) I have posted a recipe link I found on a public site which is good:-
What I do recommend is that you use the best quality dutch cocoa ( DON'T SKIMP - its expensive but you will thank me) free range eggs (why are people still using battery when free range is only a few dollars more - think of those poor chickens) and the best quality dark chocolate (couverture hands down - again DON'T SKIMP on the chocolate). The recipe link also includes vanilla (this is optional).I found the times I have baked it post cooking class I have run out of meringue sticks - so don't use a big nozzle on the piping bag.
Oh and only ever make this cake for company. Just reading the amount of butter, chocolate and eggs in this cake could make you gain weight - But you can get 8 to 10 serves out of this delight and then the butter/choc ratio is nothing. Well almost nothing.
Only 2 months to go - 9 recipes - for November and for 4 December. I will try to only do Xmas related ones in December...Well try that is.

No comments: