Monday, February 12, 2007

Midsumma (is) Madness...Part 1

Well it's official...Midsumma is over for another year... and usually I'm a little sad but I'm more relieved this year... I wish I could say I was more supportive of the festival...OK so this year I only went to Carnival (which by the way i have only missed one since 1997, in 2000 when I was working)...that now I'm older...and whether its because I have seen it all before and have been to enough parties...this year was...well..not up to scratch...

OK so I do accept that the 'community' is varied & diverse one...but I have either I have become very mainstream...so have most of my friends whether gay or straight or whatever...but to me there was A LOT OF FREAKS in attendance...Yes there was drag queens and bears and twinks and dykes-on-bikes- and leather men and lipstick les and bians and suburban gay and power gay and even average types which is all good - BUT the freaks really stood out this year...it's like there is a new catergory in gayland - 'FREAK' - they just are that - maybe they have always been there and I haven't cared to notice it...or maybe it hasn't freaked me out as much...but I, as well as a lot of my friends noticed and commented on the car crash that was carnival...

OK so maybe that's a little mean(ahem)...

The t-dance (usually in my mind one of the highlights of Midsumma) was pretty ordinary as well... I mean why ALL THE QUEUES TO THE LOO AND WORSE THE BLOODY BARS!!!! I swear I was in line for more than 25 minutes at one stage...

But probably what is my biggest complaint was not the crazies or the queues...it was the fact that for the first time there was too many people missing - usually the Carnival & T-dance our extended group of friends we have known for years are all in attendance...Alby, Daz, Ammo & KP are all living in BrisVegas now...The Kimmy's are in Londontown, likewise the Gooch...God only knows about P & M and the rest of the kids...too many fun people were missing...

(however saying that...the friends who were there were ACE and made the night for me)

Jesus if this is what I'm like at Midsumma
- Sydney watch out when I'm up there for Mardi Gras....(I'm so going to be killed with my non-pc views....ah well someones got to be the big mouth)

No comments: